Elgin man admits violent attack in shop
A man has admitted committing assault after losing his temper while in an Elgin shop.
John Whyte was described as having chased the man around the store, before repeatedly punching and kicking him on the head and body.
The attack, which happened on January 2, was caught on the shop’s CCTV and was also seen by witnesses.
It left its victim with a slight cut on his left temple which did not require hospital treatment.
Defence solicitor Megan Lee told Elgin Sheriff Court that, rather than happening suddenly and from out of the blue, there had been a long build-up to the violence.
She also stated that the attack was “wholly out of character” for her client.
Ms Lee said: “He’s a churchgoer and not someone who resorts to violence.”
The lawyer then described the victim of the assault as someone who’s “well known to this court”.
Sheriff Aitken interjected at that point to say this wasn’t relevant to the case.
The court also heard that, although Whyte still attends church, he’d since stepped back from his previous role there.
Speaking directly to the defendant, Sheriff Aitken said: “I can tell by just looking at you that you understand the stupidity of this.”
Whyte replied: “Yes, sir. I know.”
Sheriff Aitken placed Whyte, who’s aged 48 and lives in the Kingsmills area of Elgin, under the court’s supervision for the next 12 months.
During this time he will be expected to undergo a course in coping strategies and consequential thinking.