Poundland fire: 15 year-old boy charged
A 15 year-old boy has been charged in connection with a blaze at the Elgin Poundland store last Friday (August 12).
Following reports of suspicious circumstances, Police have confirmed today (August 19) that they have made their first charge over the high-profile fire.
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "Around 6.10pm on Friday, 12 August, 2022, officers were called to a report of a fire within a building on High Street, Elgin.
"A 15-year-old male youth has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.
"A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal."
Speaking to the Scot yesterday, store manager Gerry McAloon thanked staff for their actions in the heat of the moment.
Mr McAloon said: "I am so proud of the team for making sure that the customer and themselves were able to evacuate the building safely."
While the Poundland building is seriously damaged, with Mr McAloon describing the the sales floor as "a scene of total devastation", Poundland have confirmed that staff will be paid while the store is closed.
Previously home to Elgin's branch of Woolworths, the Poundland building has been undergoing major renovation works since at least 2018.
Two fire appliances from Elgin were on the scene within five minutes of being called and they were supported by appliances from Lossiemouth, Fochabers, Keith, Aberlour, Buckie and Nairn, as well as a turntable ladder from Inverness.